Friday, March 13, 2009

Maple Fed Foie Gras!!!


Two weeks ago, I purchased one of the best DVD sets that I own. The set, Martin Sur La Route, is a series that aired on Radio-Canada. The episodes follow Martin Picard and his sous chef on a road trip throughout Canada while they explore regional delicacies of the country.Sur la Route, which means on the road, is super entertaining. The only problem, at least for me, is that it is only in French. Still, I have enjoyed these shows more than I have enjoyed most food media in awhile.

Martin Picard, for those of you that don't know, is the chef/proprietor of Au Pied de Cochon in Montreal. This restaurant is know for its indulgence and excess. Foie gras factors into many dishes. This restaurant is my favorite and Anthony Bourdain's too.

Check out this video from No Reservations:




I had the opportunity to eat here and instantly fell in love. Enough gushing about my personal hero.

One of the episodes of Sur La Route titled, Le Foie Gras, is awesome. They travel to a farm where Martin purchases his foie gras. I didn't feel like the animals were being abused, like so many others sissyfied animal rights activists/vegans. The animals seemed to be well taken care. I laughed pretty hard when I watched Chef Picard play with the baby ducks.

Martin and his Sous Chef(Hugue), prepare several dishes using a portable stove they have in the back of their truck. Towards the end, the make renditions of burgers, hot dogs, and poutine...all with foie gras!!!!!

The true highlight of the episode comes when they are at their campsite for the night, and a man delivers "secret" lobes of foie gras in a suitcase. Martin and his sous are obviously excited about foie, because it is foie from Maple fed ducks.

Martin worked on this project last year, and watching them eat this milky white treat made me hungry as heck!! The ducks are force fed maple syrup in addition the corn mush that are accustomed to. The product looked incredbile and I'm gonna try to order some for next year.

He mailed little care packages of the foie with champagne to chef's and food critics. Eric Ripert looked like he was gonna have an orgasm while eating it. The whole time Chef Martin is giggling like a schoolgirl.

I hope you enjoyed this post and the video that accompanied it. Let me know what you think.

6 comments:

Robert said...

I was blown away after having recently picked up Chef Martin Picard's cookbook.
I am embarrassed to admit that after having worked in the industry for thirty years I somehow missed this fascinating book until now. I believe it is a true chefs chef cookbook if you know what I mean.

And worse then that, I only live about four hours away from Montreal. Needless to say before I was halfway through the book I made reservations for next month.

I rarely order off the menu at most restaurants that I consider a destination or chefs I admire. I usually just ask the kitchen to send out whatever they wish.
Would you recommend that at Au Pied de Cochon? Or are there certain dishes that can't be missed in your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

Best.

Robert

spasstastic said...

I would definitely ask what they recommend and see if they can feed you some of their best gluttonous treats.

Definitely try the foie gras poutine!

Did you get the Canadian version of the album that comes with the DVD?

Robert said...

No, I picked up the paperback version at a local Borders.
I won't rule out buying the hard cover while there though.

Restaurants from Manresa to Komi I have let the kitchen decide as I like to try as much as I can.
Thing is I hear portions are huge at Au Pied de Cochon and that may not be possible for this old timer.LOL

I certainly will try the poutine.

Thanks.

Robert

PS. Really enjoy your new blog and have bookmarked it.

spasstastic said...

Thank you for your kind words. The portions are really huge. I will try to keep the blog interesting.

I can't to blog about my photo shoot for Meatpaper magazine!!

Keep me updated on what you eat. I haven't been in a couple of years, and I can't wait to go back.

The CFT said...

Love Pied de Cochon, and MTL in general. You can trip and land on a piece of foie. Wrote about in a way too long post here: http://thecagefreetomato.blogspot.com/2008/04/montreal-in-weekend.html

I'm linking your blog. Great stuff.

spasstastic said...

Thanks! There is literally Foie everywhere in Montreal. Thanks for the link, I'm linking you as well.