Monday, March 9, 2009

1st Post

This post is dedicated to Stu Spivack.

I have often wanted to blog, but have found very little time to do so. I finally decided to do one after hearing about an argument between some of the cooks at the restaurant that I am Executive Sous Chef at.

The argument they had was about the validity of "foodie" blogs. One side of the argument was that people don't really pay attention to food blogs(this is the side that I don't agree with).

The other side is in defense of "foodie" blogs and the publicity that they can generate(this is the side I do agree with).

In the last few years, blogs have taken off. Blogs about food have especially seemed to gain notoriety. One blog in particular, Chocolate and Zucchini, is extremely popular. The author of said blog,
Clotilde Dusoulier, has been on television and has even published 2 books. I would say that this makes her blog something that people read on a daily basis.

I myself am extremely fond of food related blogs, especially blog posts that pertain to restaurants. I often look for reviews of the newest spots that are opening up. Blogs are even useful for finding out what events are being held at your favorite restaurants(ex: Stuart Spivack's blog).

Over the last few years, blogs have really opened my eyes to what is going on in the culinary world. Ideas in Food, opened up my eyes to "molecular gastronomy"....even though that term has been widely abused by many writers. This blog really began to show me how important a blog can be for expanding your knowledge of cooking techniques. It also showed me how much more I have to learn about food.

As I began the start of my career in Cleveland, I began to seek out blogs about the dining scene(ex: Cleveland Foodie). Michelle blogs about every restaurant in Cleveland. This is where my point about the validity of food blogs comes in. She blogs about the restaurants, she interviews the chefs, and people read all about it.

Chefs around town begin to notice, and soon she gets noticed when she goes out to eat. Some bloggers even get invited to events that chefs hold promoting their newest restaurant.

Chefs take notice, so why wouldn't educated consumers. Isn't it possible that a favorable review in a blog could make a restaurant goer more likely to dine at that establishment. Don't even get me started on how pictures of dishes can totally influence someone's decision to eat there.

In summary(sorry if I rambled to much for a 1st post), I think food blogs are very important. I feel that they can influence people to come to your restaurant, and have sometimes even influenced my decision.






3 comments:

Cameron said...

Nice Blog! I agree..I think the validity and credentials of food blog authors (the part that some culinarians don't get)comes from the quality of the author's ability to convey messages about food and to how much the reader agrees. These blogs are really just editorials and reviews, like the ones found in newspapers. Now with the internet, anyone has the opportunity for their voice to be heard. The Cleveland Foodie Blog is just one of a few of it's kind in Cleveland. But it's following is not just due to it's monopoly in this segment, I feel the author's experiences and opinions are very similar to a large segment of Cleveland diners. Like any good critic, the author writes with modesty, dedication, and with out extremeist opinions. I find validity in her posts because I have had similar experiences in the same restaurants. Also, the qualities that are important to her of a great meal and/or dining experience are very similar to the qualities that are important to me. But obviously, based on the comments left and the support of many well known Cleveland food professionals, she has found this common ground with readers very frequently.

spasstastic said...

Well spoken sir, well spoken.

cita07 said...

Love food blogs. From my isolated island stance, I have been looking at food more than eating it...well, lots of popcorn, but not much delicious.

I like Cleveland Foodie, but LOVE Eater.com. Its great, Cleveland should have one. Right now its just eater.com LA, NYC, and SF. They may have more quantity...but I think Cleveland could use something like that: ESPECIALLY the link to flickr photos of the grub...YUM!

And Dork chef...(Ive ALWAYS wanted to call you that!haha) Scanwhiches.com is pretty hilarious too. Just for giggles and what not...ha

So excited to have another blog to distract me with: Im cited to hear about your creative adventures, and hopefull misadventures...!

Calen