Saturday, March 28, 2009

Ghetto-tastic Sous Vide


I've been playing around with sous vide cooking for a while now. The wine dinner we hosted on Wednesday was a chance to incorporate this technique into a couple of dishes.

The only problem I have, is that I am using a foodsaver to vacuum seal my items. The foodsaver does a decent job, but the bags don't seem to stay sealed like they should. At first, the bag seems to be airtight. Then, after awhile in a water bath(no I don't have an immersion circulator), the bag has expanded and it looks like it has air in it.

For the wine dinner, I sous vide rhubarb and white asparagus. The rhubarb was delicious and the fibers broke down nicely without overcooking the product.


I also sous vide cabbage for St. Patrick's Day. The cabbage turned out incredibly well.


The results then seem to be nothing more than boil in a bag some of the time. I would love to see the results with the proper equipment. I'm still working on getting a cryovac machine. If anyone knows someone that is throwing one away, let me know.

No comments: