Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Pig's Head Madness

Last week we got in a pig's head from Niman ranch, because I haven't made headcheese(or brawn if you're British) since culinary school. The head was extremely fresh and Dave Treaster and I tackled that thang with mucho gusto!!









For the headcheese I used capers, cornichons, citrus zest/juice, lots of parsley, and lots of salt and pepper. I then reduced the gelatin and we assembled the terrine. After cutting into the terrine, I wish I would've added more of the liquid. It was kind of hard to slice and fell apart slightly. We even got to serve some to Michael Ruhlman and family when they came in to eat.


In the end, I was pretty happy with my 2nd attempt ever at headcheesery. I even thanked the piggy, before we started, for the opportunity.
Thank you, my delicious friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Nice photos. I subscribed to your blog recently and have enjoyed it. I wanted to share my Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video. It's a Cleveland international restaurant tour.

If you like this video, help make it a finalist! Give it 5 stars & send it to your friends.

So funny...Me & my dad did the video together on Friday (he was the cameraman) with a $75 Sony digital camera...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2_Fwhsl7i8